Appointment-System of the German Foreign Office — Accra

Please choose an area

Schengen / visit / short stay visa

Short term visa for a stay of up to 90 days within the Schengen Area.

This visa is required for/to:

- visit of relatives, friends, etc.

- business

- attend a conference

- visit a trade fair

- medical treatment

- tourism

- sport or other competition

Please note that the passport number of the applicant is a mandatory field on the electronic booking form. If the passport number of the applicant is not entered correctly, the appointment is considered null and void!

Please read carefully BEFORE booking an appointment!

Generally all applicants for visas must now book an appointment through the online appointment system of the German Embassy (i.e. short term Schengen visas for business purposes, visits, holidays or honouring official or private invitations as well as long stay visas for family reunion, studying, research, employment, re-entry, au pair, etc.).

From 15. June 2016, the following persons are exempted from booking an appointment for Schengen-Visa:

  • Frequent travellers;  these are people who have had two (2) Schengen visas within the last three (3) years or one (1) Schengen visa with a minimum validity of one (1) year within the last three (3) years or one (1) Schengen and one (1) visa from UK, Ireland, USA, Canada, Japan, Australia or New Zealand in the last three (3)
  • Travellers with an invitation from the German Government, GIZ, KfW, DAAD and German political foundations
  • Diplomatic and service passport holders
  • Travellers on behalf of the Ghanaian/Liberian/Sierra Leonean government (note verbale of the respective Ministry of Foreign Affairs)
  • Travellers for urgent medical treatment
  • Spouses of EU nationals and parents of minor EU nationals (for visits)
  • Delegates and participants of UN conferences and events in Germany
  • Employees of German companies, both registered in Germany and Ghana travelling on official business

These applicants can present themselves personally from Mondays to Thursdays before 10.00 am at the Visa Section, in order to apply for a visa.

This option is not viable for groups of five or more persons. In this case the Embassy kindly asks to either book a group appointment for Fridays or to split the group and apply individually.

For all others the booking is free of charge. Please read the following information carefully:

Single appointments can be booked for Mondays to Thursdays. Group appointments for short term visa for a group of 5 or more can only be booked for Fridays. Groups should appoint one member to coordinate the booking of the appointments.

Each applicant needs an appointment of his/her own.

Visa appointments can only be booked by the online appointment system and not by phone or by email.

The Embassy does not encourage bookings to be made through agencies or any other third party offering their services against payment of a fee. You will be held responsible for any misuse in your name. If the booking system is misused, the applicant will be blocked. No further bookings will be possible!

Admission to the visa section of the German Embassy in order to submit an application is only possible on presentation of a printout of a valid appointment booking confirmation and a complete application.

Latecomers will not be admitted! Incomplete applications will not be processed!

Please cancel your appointment if you cannot make it. The confirmation e-mail provides a cancellation link.


Long stay visa / study / au pair / work / family reunion scholarship holder

National visa for taking up longer or permanent residence in Germany.

This visa is required for:

- studies

- scholarships

- research

- language course (longer than 90 days)

- work

- voluntary work

- au pair

- internship (longer than 90 days)

- training

- re-entry (after loss of passport or if the residence permit has expired)

- family reunion to a holder of a German scholarship living in Germany (DAAD, KAAD, etc.)

Please note that the passport number of the applicant is a mandatory field on the electronic booking form. If the passport number of the applicant is not entered correctly, the appointment is considered null and void!


Family Reunion

Visa requirements for family reunion

Please bear in mind that you need to book one appointment per person (that also applies if you apply together with a child).

1. Family reunion for children. You need to apply for this visa if a child is supposed to join one or both parent(s) in Germany.

2. Family reunion - joining a German (unborn) child. You need to apply for this visa if the mother or the father of a German (unborn) child wants to join this German child in Germany. It also applies if the parent wants to move to Germany together with the (unborn) child.

3. Visa application for an intended marriage in Germany. You need to apply for this visa if you have a fiancé(e) in Germany and are planning to get married after the arrival in Germany.

4. Family reunion – joining a spouse. You need to apply for this visa if you want to join your spouse in Germany.

It is essential that you read the information leaflet provided on our website carefully. You should only book an appointment once you are in possession of all the required documents. In case that the documents are not complete at the time of your interview, your application cannot be accepted and a new appointment has to be booked.


Formal Obligation

German Passport

If you do not have residence in Germany anymore, but in Ghana, Sierra Leone or Liberia, the German Embassy in Accra is your competent passport office.

If you recently moved to Ghana, you should apply for a change of residence in your passport by showing the deregistration certificate from your former city of residence.

Every applicant has to appear personally (also minors).

PLEASE NOTE: if you are applying for the first German passport of a child which was NOT born in Germany, often a paternity acknowledgement and almost always a name declarartion are legal procedures which have to be completed BEFORE the passport application.