Appointment-System of the German Foreign Office — Edinburgh

Please choose an area

Schengen Visa

Please book an appointment to apply for a visa at the German Consulate General, if:

1. Germany is your main destination


2. the time you plan to spend in other Schengen countries is of equal length to the time you plan to spend in Germany and Germany is your first country of entry.

If you wish to apply for more than one person, you will need to book an appointment for each person.

Please note that visas will only be issued to those resident within the Consulate General's consular district.

We will not accept applications that do not meet these requirements.

Please book an appointment only when you are sure to attend.

Please note that there is only a limited number of appointments available at the Consulate General. We recommend to book via VisaMetric services.


Passport/ ID Card application

You can  book an appointment for a Passport (temporary, biometric, for children) or ID Card

Please only book an appointment to apply for a passport/ ID Card at the German Consulate General in Edinburgh if you live in Scotland or the following counties in Northern England:

Cleveland and Redcar, Cumbria, Darlington, Durham, Hartlepool, Middlesborough, Northumberland, Stockton on Tees, Tyne and Wear (Tyneside). Also: North Yorkshire without Selby and York.

You will find detailed information about how to apply for a German passport/ ID Card on our website.

Please read this information carefully before making an appointment. On our website you will also find the necessary application forms.

If you wish to apply for more than one person, you will need to book an appointment for each person.

A valid e-mail address must be provided, as a confirmation e-mail will be sent to confirm your appointment.

Please note that the appointments offered on this system are the earliest appointments available. Only in extreme emergencies (death or illness of a family member) will we be able to offer individual emergency appointments.


Name declarations, registration of birth or marriage

In order to make a declaration of name, register the birth of a child born outside Germany or make an entry in the German Register of Marriages, you will need an appointment.

Before booking an appointment, please check exactly what kind of declaration or registration you would like to make by visiting our website


You can find a list with the required documents as well as the respective forms on our homepage. Please send copies of the required documents and a filled form no later than 2 weeks prior to your appointment to us via e-mail ( or post. In addition you have to bring all required documents as originals plus two sets of copies to your appointment.

If you are not sure whether you need to make a declaration of name or would like any other information, please contact the following email address:

Please click on “continue” now to continue your booking.