Appointment-System of the German Foreign Office — Los Angeles

Please choose an area

German Passports


Before applying for a passport, please ensure that you do not have to do a name declaration before.

A name declaration will most likely be necessary, if:

- the applicant was born abroad within wedlock but his/her/their parents did not have the same name
- the applicant got married abroad and changed his/her/their name but never registered the marriage in Germany

Please note that these are just examples. For more information on when name declarations are necessary and how to submit them please see our website. If a name declaration turns out to be necessary, we cannot accept passport applications until the German registrar has confirmed the name/name change. You can submit name declarations in person to the Consulate General (only after booking an appointment via our website) or send it by mail.

Please continue with booking an appointment only if you are sure, that you do not need to make a name declaration.



Thank you for your interest in applying for a visa for Germany!

Due to the EU travel ban which is in force indefinitely for third-country nationals travelling from the US, visa applications can only be accepted in these exceptional cases: 

-          Employment as qualified worker

-          Study

-          Family reunion 

If you intend to enter Germany for one of the above mentioned purposes of stay, you can book an appointment to submit your visa application here, please inform the exact reason for your visa applicaton while booking the appointment !

Please note that applications for any other reason of stay will not be accepted. If you attend an appointment, your application will be refused.  

Please note that a visa is not a guarantee that you will be allowed to enter Germany as this is in the discretion of the German border police. 

If you are a US citizen and intend to move to Germany for one of the above mentioned reasons, please be aware that you are still allowed to enter Germany visa free and apply for your residence permit at your place of residence. A visa process is not necessary. Note that you will only be allowed to start working once you have the necessary permit !

Please note that the date format for making an appointment is dd/mm/yyyy.

Carefully read the following information and visit our website for the visa application form and lists of necessary documents.    

Make sure to bring all necessary documents as listed in the visa requirements to avoid delays in the processing of your application.The German Consulate requieres original Documents. Documents have to be hand signed.

Only applications filled out online from the Consulate/Embassy website will be accepted. Please fill out the application with all personal data exactly as it appears on your passport.
After completion, please print the form including the Annex page containing the barcode (only visible at time of printing). It is crucial that the barcode is not torn, folded or otherwise damaged at time of submission. 
Please note the following important regulations concerning your passport/travel document:

  • its validity has to extend beyond the duration of the visa you are applying for by at least 3 months
  • it has to contain at least two blank pages;
  • it must have been issued within the previous 10 years. If it was issued before that, your application can not be accepted. This rule also applies if the validity has been extended by the authorities of your home country.

If your passport/travel document does not meet  a l l  of these requirements, you will need to obtain a new passport before applying for a visa.


Notarization of signature and declarations related to your civil status

Please be aware that we are - at moment - not yet able to offer the full range of consular services.

You need a  notarization of your signature for

- Power of Attorney
- Renouncement of succession
- Declaration of approval ("Genehmigungserklärung"): declaration by which a person approves a declaration / contract signed earlier on his behalf by somebody else
- Application for a certificate of good conduct
- or notarization of fotocopies?

Please send us an email asking for an appointment via our homepage.

You would like to hand an application for

- birth registration,  registration of a foreign marriage or a  name declaration?

Please check our homepage and find out how you can send the application to us.